Tour our Heritage Buildings

For an interactive tour view our Park Map

The Buildings of Old Gippstown

Old Gippstown contains 45 individual heritage buildings situated on sites nestled in parkland.

These buildings house a collection of furniture and artefacts to suit their periods:

  • Browse through the squatting era by visiting Bushy Park Homestead (c.1840)
  • selection times with ‘Calagero’ Log Cabin (c.1870)
  • early farming  days  ‘Ashdale’ farmhouse and shearing shed (c. 1880)
  • gold mining (miners’ hut)
  • early travelling days ‘Rhoden’s Cobb & Co. Inn (c.1863)
  • horse-drawn carriages
  • motor vehicles collections
  • police and emergency services Maffra Police Station (c.1883)
  • Yallourn fire engine (1938)
  • Sunny Creek School (opened 1889)
  • Holy Trinity Church (consecrated 1895)
  • Neerim Post Office (c.1917)
  • Narracan Mechanics’ Institute Hall (1905)
  • Tynong Mechanics’ Institute Hall  (1886)
  • Print Shop
  • Bootmaker’s Shop (1906)
  • Funeral Directors
  • Meeniyan Bank (1889)
  • Solicitor’s Office (c.1922)
  • Narracan General Store (1889)
  • ‘Loren’ Iron House (1853)
  • Yallourn House (1930)

and many more.

Also do not forget to visit our significant collections.

Maffra Police Station

Maffra Police Station

This building originally stood in the yard beside the 1882 Maffra police residence. It was then a small office. In 1937...

read more
National Bank, Meeniyan

National Bank, Meeniyan

The first banks in Gippsland were mainly set up in mining areas to purchase gold from the miners. In selection districts,...

read more
‘Loren’ Iron House

‘Loren’ Iron House

Loren, which is on the Victorian Heritage Register and the Register of the National Estate, and owned by The National...

read more
Camera Display

Camera Display

A comprehensive collection of photographic equipment in showcases is housed in this room, including artefacts from keen...

read more
Narracan General Store

Narracan General Store

This timber building was relocated to Old Gippstown in 1976 after dismantling and removing the post office and storage...

read more
Solicitor’s Office

Solicitor’s Office

A small, rectangular, timber office, with a corrugated iron roof and pressed metal hoods over the front door and front...

read more
Neerim Post Office

Neerim Post Office

Joseph and Ethel Callow built this shop about 1917-1918 at Neerim. Ethel Callow sold sweets and school / stationery...

read more
Dressmaker’s Shop

Dressmaker’s Shop

This building came as a shop from Traralgon some time prior to 1972 and the verandah has been added. In the early 1900s,...

read more
Blacksmith Shop

Blacksmith Shop

Jim Mayze set up a coach building and blacksmithing operation in Traralgon in 1886 with a Mr West. Mayze and West...

read more
Fire Station

Fire Station

This Old Gippstown fire station was originally a tennis pavilion from Moe, relocated in 1971. It houses the 1938 Dodge Fire...

read more
Bushy Park Shed

Bushy Park Shed

Built around 1972 at Old Gippstown to represent one of the out buildings of McMillan’s time.

read more
Maffra Lock-Up

Maffra Lock-Up

This building was transferred from Rosedale to Maffra in 1869. These police cells, imported from England, were designed to...

read more
Woods Point Lock-Up

Woods Point Lock-Up

This lock-up was transported from Trafalgar/Thorpdale RSL in 2015. The framework of iron bars in these lock-ups made it...

read more
Gippsland Motor Garage

Gippsland Motor Garage

This building was constructed on site in 1972 and was named after a garage established in 1929 in Maffra by W.O. Fulton, a...

read more
Wash House

Wash House

This display shows a typical outside laundry up to the mid 20th century. Items on display include a wooden laundry trough,...

read more
Contractors’ Shed

Contractors’ Shed

This building was built on site and is currently used as part of our restoration workshop. It houses a collection of...

read more
Buggy Shed

Buggy Shed

This shed, from ‘Nyaalinga’ House, Moe, is typical of the sort of building that would have been behind the Narracan General...

read more
Rotunda

Rotunda

The rotunda, built in 1973, is a replica of the Yallourn Bandstand that was taken down when the town was demolished in the...

read more
Water Wheel

Water Wheel

This water wheel, which is operational, was originally from Buxton. It was used to generate electricity for a boarding house.

read more
School Shelter Shed

School Shelter Shed

Constructed in 1912, this shelter shed is from the Grey Street State School, Traralgon, and was relocated to Old Gippstown...

read more
Sunny Creek School

Sunny Creek School

SS2903 Sunny Creek State School, first called Yarragon East, situated on Sunny Creek Road, between Yarragon and Trafalgar,...

read more
Out Kitchen

Out Kitchen

A slab construction cottage built in Ripplebrook in 1880 as a home for a single female land owner, and later relocated to...

read more
Bushy Park

Bushy Park

A square shaped pit sawn timber house, with a corrugated iron roof over shingles. It has a verandah that covers both the...

read more
The Print Shop

The Print Shop

A collection of printing equipment, some still in operational order. This collection includes an 1870s Wharfdale flat bed...

read more
Miners’ Hut

Miners’ Hut

This hut came from the Tanjil goldfields, and was in use around 1900, the home of two miners on an old goldfield. The...

read more

Park Tour

For an interactive tour of the buildings check out the park map

Experieince Old Gippstown Buildings through an interactive and life like tour of the park, then come and enjoy the real thing.