A square shaped pit sawn timber house, with a corrugated iron roof over shingles. It has a verandah that covers both the front and sides of the house. The house is constructed of redgum timber, and internally has four rooms: two bedrooms, a sitting room and a back utility room. Bushy Park homestead has National Trust of Australia – Class ‘C’ classification. In the collection there is the original writing slope belonging to Angus McMillan, a rare old Asiatic Peacock Setting and a very old handmade quilt. The rooms are furnished with furniture and artefacts to suit the period.
The History of Bushy Park: Angus McMillan took up Bushy Park as a squatting run in 1840, and built the first section of his homestead from pit sawn timber in the late 1840s. It was the centre of a small village as headquarters for his many other runs, east around Sandy Creek and around Dargo.
In 1869 Bushy Park was sold to Murdoch Mackintosh, who also held Dargo runs. He used it as his headquarters for raising horses for the British Army in India, exporting thousands direct to the sub-continent. However he fell on hard times, lost control of the property, and it was sold through subdivision in 1888.
Bushy Park passed through the hands of the Gilder family to the Lee family in 1916. In 1969, Greg Lee allowed Old Gippstown to take possession of the section that included pit-sawn timber, and it was relocated to Old Gippstown, Moe.